“This will be my son's fourth year at Camp Kirk.
He has a number of issues, including ADHD, ODD, LD, and some behavioural and anxiety problems, so we were, as you can imagine, apprehensive, when we sent him to camp for the first time.
But the camp counsellors stayed in touch with us, and while there were issues that first year, they were handled with care and sensitivity.
By the time I arrived to pick him up, it was like he was a different kid.
Much more independent, much more appreciative of the things we do for him at home (always a bonus!) and just a much more grounded kid.
He cried on the way home because he was going to miss camp. And that was just the first year!
Every year, he looks forward to going to Camp Kirk, and every year when he comes home, we see enormous personal growth.
The counsellors and staff have consistently been amazing. I hear stories about them for weeks, even months after my son gets home.
This year, when we applied, he asked how long it would be until he could be a counsellor there – we are so happy that he feels that sense of belonging!
He's really looking forward to it again this year, and actually asked if he could go for the whole summer.
Thanks – this place makes a huge difference for him, and for a lot of kids”
Parents tell us what they think about their Camp Kirk experience
- Her self esteem sky-rocketed!
- He has changed in so many positive ways from that 10-day experience. He is confident and believes in his worth
- I was excited at the possibility of my children be...
- He became a more outgoing kid and tried all kinds of new adventures
- He's seeing his own success and pride in something new
- Finding their Sweet spot
- My only wish is that we had found you guys several years ago
- Camp Kirk was one of the best decisions we have ev...
- He went away with a low self-esteem and came back with a courage I have never seen before
- It’s a place where kids are embraced and welcomed into an accepting friendly environment
- I couldn't ask for a more positive experience
- Aspergers syndrome and ADHD - some differences tha...
- You can't put a price on the skills you see your c...
- The sweet joy of friendship and belonging, and rea...
- His self-esteem has increased almost 100% and he h...
- Camp Kirk has played a huge part in helping Reggan become the productive and able person that she is becoming
- The camp was able to meet his dietary, medical and social needs
- He realized the companionship and fun he had been missing in all the other activities we had ever enrolled him in
- His time at camp and with you have given him the tools that he needed to find the confidence and compassion for life
- The counsellors and staff have consistently been amazing. I hear stories about them for weeks, even months after my son gets home
- The confidence he built from those years at Camp made all the difference in the world
- Every year we are thoroughly impressed with the quality of the counselors both in terms of enthusiasm and caring
- The activities are great - from the ropes course, to the rock wall, Bucky-Mucky swamp, archery, crafts - and don't miss the canoe trips
- I had struggled with behavioural challenges with my son for many years. Since he started going to Camp Kirk those challenges have lessened every year
- Camp Kirk Home